9, Eastern Hospital Road, Sookunpo, Hong Kong.
The Ellis Kadoorie School for Indians at So Kon Poo was opened on 16th October, 1916, by His Excellency the Governor. The building (presented to the Colony by Mr. Ellis Kadoorie) is very suitable and the playgrounds are, by the standards of the Colony, luxurious. An English Master has been appointed. The school is at present a feeder to Queen‘s College, but may possibly develop an Upper School of its own.
The school was found in 1891 by Ellis Kadoorie, an Indian Jewish who was knighted in 1917. The school was originally called ‘The Ellis Kadoorie School for Indians’. It was the first school in Hong Kong where Hindi and Urdu languages were included in the school curriculum. During the Second World War, the school was closed like many schools in Hong Kong. After the war, Ellis Kadoorie School was re-opened in 1946 with AM (English) and PM (Chinese) sessions. In 1960, the school was renamed as Sir Ellis Kadoorie School. The P.M. session was closed in 1975 and the school commenced operating as a whole day school. The school was extended to Form Five in 1978. In 1980 it was separated into Primary and Secondary and the majority of the primary graduates were promoted to Sir Ellis Kadoorie Secondary School. Due to the increased demand for more places in both Primary and Secondary, the Secondary School was moved to West Kowloon in 2000. The Primary School has occupied the whole school premises since then.
1890 Ellis Kadoorie Chinese Schools Society, Sai Ying Pun
The Ellis Kadoorie Chinese Schools Society, whose work extends through Hong Kong, Canton, and Shanghai, was formed at the suggestion ...
1897 Sir Catchick Paul Chater Legco Member
Being Unofficial member of the Executive and Legislative Councils, Sir Catchick Paul Chater, Legco Member was very influential in ...