Dent’s Fountain sponsored by Dent & Co. was located at the front (south side) of the City Hall. Most of the time, the fountain was run out of water.
1869-06-28 Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh inaugurated Hong Kong‘s first City Hall on his visit to the colony.
China ponies came through Shanghai more than a century! 1906, According to Col. Dowbiggin:
“The subs, arrived fairly early, so that by St. Andrew’s Day there were many to be discarded as unsuitable for racing, and they became Polo ponies or chargers for the Mounted Troop (of the Volunteers). But before being discarded there was held on the morning after the St. Andrew’s Ball an unofficial race for them. Owners and riders would proceed from the ,Auchtermuchty’ direct to the Racecourse for their race, and while waiting fortify themselves with strong coffee laced with brandy.”
Ponies being auctioned were sent to the annual Roup.
For many years the roups took place on the large banyan-shaded terrace of the old City Hall in Queen‘s Road.
The pleasant stucco fountain, with supporting naiads guarded by great lions couchant, was the auctioneer’s podium.
Buyers of ponies then included not only the Commander of the Mounted Troop and rural residents wanting hacks, but also representatives of the Chinese army in Canton, getting officers’ mounts, and bidders from a few stables which hired out hacks.
1920s and before, there was, a large barn-like hire stable on Jordan Road, south of Nathan Road.
1853-11-28 Lancelot Dent passed away
His tomb was found at Crosby Ravensworth (S. flat tomb, rails). In Memory of Lancelot Dent of Canton in China ...
1846-08-20 Spring Garden Lane villa of Dent
Painted by Murdoch Bruce, lithograph by A. Maclure 1846-08-20 Spring Garden Lane 春園街 was named after the villa of Dent ...
1841-05-25 Dent building
Dent building used by John Dent and Wilkinson Dent after moved to Macau before the 1839-05-24 final exodus of the ...