Print reproduced from watercolor An early print showing the Cemetery and Racecourse from the Illustrated London News, May 1866
The Hong Kong Cemetery was opened in 1845 when Happy Valley was considered too far from town and too mosquito-ridden ever to be needed as building land. The first graves date back even earlier and were moved to Happy Valley in 1889 when Hong Kong’s earliest cemetery in Wanchai was finally closed in 1889. The first monument found belongs to Lieutenant Benjamin Fox who died on 25th May, 1841 of wounds received when the British forces stormed the walls of Canton during the First Opium War. Hong Kong Cemetery was the burial place for all the Protestant and Nonconformist dead for over one hundred years. The Cemetery is a beautiful, inspiring and peaceful place and more importantly it is a significant source of material for students of Hong Kong’s heritage as well as those with a general interest particularly in the fields of history, sociology, genealogy and architecture.
1899 postcard Buildings factories Happy Valley Racecourse & Cemetery
Hong Kong China Old Color Postcard depicting Happy Valley Racecourse Race Course Cemetery
1841-06-18 Grave stone Brodie, of HM Troopship Rattlesnake Happy Valley Cemetery
Grave stone of Commander William Brodie, of HM Troopship Rattlesnake 1841-06-18 Happy Valley Cemetery
1866-02-20 Annual Race Meeting 1st Day May Happy Valley Cemetery and Racecourse
Print reproduced as monochrome engraving 1866-02-20&21&22 Annual Race Meeting