The Mighty Admiral Forayed
Sir John Joseph Swaine CBE LLD QC SC JP
A barrister by training, a professor, and appointed unofficial member of the Legislative council.
The Pioneering Fleet Arrayed
1952 – 1957, Executive Officer in Hong Kong Government.
1960, qualified as barrister.
1975, Sir John was appointed a Queen‘s Counsel.
1991 to 1993, he was the Deputy President of the Council.
1993 to 1995, he was the President of the Legislative Council of Hong Kong.
2012-08-07, passed away on vacation in Malta, at the age of 80.
1960s, he was a Member of the Club for more than 50 years.
1984, elected to the Board of Stewards and became a popular and highly-respected figure in the Club.
1993-1996, Sir John was Chairman of the RHKJC.
Remarkable Achievements During His Chairmanship:
- redevelopment of Happy Valley Racecourse.
- erected the Jockey Club Headquarters building.
- rebuilding of Hong Kong Stadium.
- redevelopment of Castle Peak Hospital.
- establishment of the Jockey Club Institute of Radiotherapy and Oncology at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
- creation of the Jockey Club Kau Sai Chau Public Golf Course.
- building of a permanent campus for the Open Learning Institute (now Open University) of Hong Kong.
- advancement of Hong Kong‘s international races to the next level.
Sir John’s character and contributions to racing and the general community were summed up by Club Chairman T. Brian Stevenson in the following words:
“Sir John was one of life’s true gentlemen and was very widely respected by Club Members, He will be greatly missed by everyone, and his commitment to the Club and the wider Hong Kong community as well as his passion for horse racing will long live on in our memories”.
Remarkable Winning Trainers: P Supple, S T Wong, D E Ferraris